Re: Wax carving tools

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Follow UpsPost FollowupBramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Keith Farley on January 20, 1999 at 21:01:00:

In Reply to: Wax carving tools posted by saskia on January 19, 1999 at 01:09:57:

I've used the Matt mini-lathe. It has its purposes. But quite honestly, I'd seriously consider investing in a

small lathe if you have a mind to make machined parts, etc. in any serious manner. It is really not a tool of

substance and expensive for what you get. I look at it a sort of a toy. The cutting blades are made of inferior

steel, in my opinion. Wax should not easily dull a cutting blade, but my experience indicates that it does so

in short order. It's an idea that is possibly good if you're looking only to make a few pieces now and again on

a small scale. It needs to be supplemented with gravers, files and other cutting and finishing tools. I'm

pleased that I have one. But then, mine came inside of a huge box of relatively unused tools that I picked up

for all of $40, the contents of which would have cost better than $500 had I bought each of them

individually. I'm not saying its a bad tool, just not a great one. I hope this hel

Follow Ups:

Follow UpsPost FollowupBramblebush ForumsFAQ