Re: Casting Copper

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Follow UpsBramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bpfink on February 14, 19100 at 09:28:25:

In Reply to: Re: Casting Copper posted by Craig Smyres on February 14, 19100 at 01:21:52:

I'm no expert on this cause I gave up on casting copper. Working it and welding it with TIG is easy but no more casting. Try pouring copper if you like cause you will learn much about it but I no longer will.

Of course the temperature needs to be higher, and the additional 150 or so degrees needed will tend to wear out your furnace much faster. In addition the radiated heat from that higher and purer metal comes off so fast that you will need to handle it faster and use better wearing equipment than you may be used to. The last time I poured straight copper I first dunked myself in the kiddy pool so my inner clothes were all wet and gave better heat resistant protection. Now that's drastic, it kind of worked better, but brings about new problems in itself.

At the same time my favorite metal to pour is Everdure which is about 96% copper and 4% silicone. This is so much easier, handier and makes for a much better flowing metal and finishing media. I prefer the patina possibilities also.

I'll be watching to see if anyone else has better comments with it's casting success but I'm done with casting pure copper. bpfink

Follow Ups:

Follow UpsBramblebush ForumsFAQ