Re: Cupola Furnace Construction

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Follow UpsBramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by L. O. on February 07, 19100 at 23:49:24:

In Reply to: Cupola Furnace Construction posted by Paul on March 15, 1999 at 08:41:47:

I typed "Cupola Furnace" into a search engine today and was brought to an old discussion started 3/15/99 by a guy named Paul who wanted details on building a cupola furnace to melt aluminum. I noticed that he was told by one guy that cupolas won't work for aluminum, only high temperature metals like iron and brass. This is a lie.

I built a 24 inch tall cupola furnace in two days from surplus materials and just plain junk that I found around the garage, and EASILY melted low temperature metal in it. It doesn't matter what type of metal you use what matters is the fuel. If your melting high temp. metals like iron use coke. For metals like aluminum, lead, etc. use store bought charcoal briquettes.

I built the furnace to quickly melt down all the scrap aluminum and copper that I've been collecting. A cupola works 4 if not 5 or 6 times faster than a crucible furnace if you ask me. Because the heat works directly on the metal being melted instead of having to travel through a crucible. Plus you don't have to skim any slag because its filtered out by the fuel.

Follow Ups:

Follow UpsBramblebush ForumsFAQ