Topic:Rusting steel surfaces

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Follow UpsBramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Clyde Wynia on March 25, 1998 at 19:05:40:

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide - the wonder finish

Date:

Wed, 25 Mar 1998 12:43:35 -0600

>> For nice pitting, sprinkle granulated salt, sodium chloride, on the hydrogen peroxide dampened surface. You can control the pitting by: how closely, how many and the size of the salt grains you apply.

I tried out the hydrogen peroxide method for the first time recently, and was astounded with what I got.

Your right. It is a fantastice way of getting different colorful rusts fast without the nasty chemicals. Peroxide works much faster if you add about a 1/4 cup of vinegar to the pint of peroxide and a couple of tablespoons of salt.

If you heat the iron so that the solution almost boils off you get absolutely instant rust. You do have to put up with the vinegar smell.

Sandblasting works great for cleaning the metal of oils, scale etc and gives the solution a nice surface to bite.

Clyde Wynia

M222 Sugarbush Lane

Marshfield, WI 54449

715-387-1653 Home

715-387-2580 Office

715-387-1212 Fax

Follow Ups:

For nice pitting, sprinkle granulated salt, sodium chloride, on the hydrogen peroxide dampened surface. You can control the pitting by: how closely, how many and the size of the salt grains you apply. : I tried out the hydrogen peroxide method for the first time recently, and was astounded with what I got. : : Your right. It is a fantastice way of getting different colorful rusts fast without the nasty chemicals. Peroxide works much faster if you add about a 1/4 cup of vinegar to the pint of peroxide and a couple of tablespoons of salt. : If you heat the iron so that the solution almost boils off you get absolutely instant rust. You do have to put up with the vinegar smell. : Sandblasting works great for cleaning the metal of oils, scale etc and gives the solution a nice surface to bite. : Clyde Wynia : M222 Sugarbush Lane : Marshfield, WI 54449 : 715-387-1653 Home : 715-387-2580 Office : 715-387-1212 Fax " />

Follow UpsBramblebush ForumsFAQ