Re: crucible lining

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bpfink on August 01, 19100 at 08:37:57:

In Reply to: Re: crucible lining posted by Ryan Wood on July 16, 19100 at 14:55:26:

I have never bought any foundry casting equipment, have been doing this for 40 yr. and have gone through probably 40 crucibles in this time. Never had one crack, break of leak and do push their limits by needing to heat up cold, seldom used ones that have not been stored in an oven somewhere (so start very slow).

When I weld up a tong set for a crucible I start by taking steel strap that is in the neighborhood of 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick X 1 1/2 inch wide X 2 to 4 inches long and then bend them to fit the contour sides of the specific crucible.

Next tape them to it and start to build up the back brackets to make them have a perfect fit without any stress points when it is later full of melted , hot metal.

An aluminum filled crucible is going to be a lot lighter and cooler than for bronze with much less risk already. You want as complete a distributed grip as possible, and if there is any insulation on that grip to prevent a 'chill' to it all the better.

I pour both aluminum and bronzes (in different crucibles) so the tongs are always made for the heavier, hotter run.

Safety is of course of utmost importance, but if paranoia is a problem here, might be better to stay away from this whole area.

I deal with 300# bronze pours as a norm, work alone, never had a pouring accident yet, but am quite cautious.

I do throw the crucibles out when the walls get thin... just makes sense.

I do fill them to the brim when full....

I do stand back and wear safety clothing and face shields and even a cute little ceramic insulative top head patch for my slick tanned balding head... but it doubles as a fashion statement.

AND I DO WORK ALONE. This is considered by me to be a real advantage as everytime others are around the silliest and most unthinkable questions, inappropriate diversions, and acts of unsafe, un-understood bodily positioning seems to get thrown into the equation. This does nothing for me other than to distract.

Bottom line is to do casting exactly like a sports star.

Run the entire operation through your head over and over before you even start.

Look for the things that could possibly happen, especially unexpectedly, and be prepared for them with instant alternate plans.

Set up for the odd events that could be unwanted, and don't take unnecessary chances.

Without a stressful approach, casting too can be fun.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ