Re: Follow-up Question

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bpfink on July 20, 19100 at 21:49:14:

In Reply to: Re: Follow-up Question posted by ruth on July 18, 19100 at 06:47:42:

By 'pushing the space' I am referring to the limits of the kiln interior and what it will hold in total mold sizes.

My burnout kiln has a variable height limited to about 7 ft without pushing it by adding a couple more rings of firebrick. It is, however, limited to about 42 inches in diameter if I want to keep any decent heat/air flow around the mold and not scrape the soides as it is lifted over and onto it (done with 2 one ton electric hoists on a moving bridge crane).

When I work wax I tend to do the piece exactly how I want it, and then figure out how to invest and cast it secondly. This means that sometimes I want a wax that extends to nearly 42 inches and I am going to only have a 42 inch plaster investment mold around it. I also like to not cut/weld/cast/recut/weld back/and then chase any more than necessary.

So that is when I tend to stay the course and not make an "enforced aesthetic re-evaluation" so to speak.

Then the thin sheet of ceramic cloth and some Elmer's type glue comes into effect to make it all safe and still happen by covering the mold holes which may be up to a fraction of an inch or even totally exposed to the edge of the investment. In that case I also paint the tenuous sites with any paint that can not burn off so I am careful to not wrap a chain around that place when lifting, turning or handling the mold from the finished kiln to the pouring location in the sand pit.

In regards to "smelling it" to see if it is burned out yet, that is done always but is not the first test of the burnout. And if there is any smell left that is other than the hot clean smell of plaster, you will instantly detect it.

Careful to not get a hot wiff though.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ