Re: crucible lining

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Lyle Landstrom on July 13, 19100 at 18:26:54:

In Reply to: Re: crucible lining posted by bpfink on July 12, 19100 at 21:53:36:

Man, you really should use a ceramic crucible. A metal pot is OK for casting scrap but if your going to cast certified ingot you'll get metal contamination. Or, you can weld up a stainless steel pot. My buddy melts all his large size scrap in a stainless homemade crucible and pours it into a homemade ingot mold. These ingots are then used for melting in his regular ceramic crucible. Me, I'm still sledge hammering and bandsawing my scrap to size.

I've been thinking of building a tilting furnace based on a 5 gallon stainless steel cooking pot found at K-Mart. But so far have too many unfinished projects to begin another one.

You should line your iron pot with kiln wash, available at a ceramic shop. You'll have to recoat it once in awhile.

The only real advantage to a metal pot that I can see is that your melt will heat faster as there's better heat transfer through the metal pot than ceramic. You can also get by with a smaller furnace as the walls of the pot are usually thinner than a ceramic crucible. You can make "tongs" by bending some some elbows on an upside down "U" shaped piece of iron rod. Torch a couple of holes in the top of your pot where the elbows fit into. Bend the tong so theres some spring in it which keeps the elbows pressed into the pot. Lindsay publications sells a book on "ornamental metal casting" that shows how to build a metal pot with these homemade cheap tongs.

As far as the price of tongs, why not just weld up your own?

Hope I haven't confused anyone but these are just a few thoughts.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ