Re: Wax Shrinkage

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by John Dach on April 09, 19100 at 02:44:09:

In Reply to: Wax Shrinkage posted by PhilB on April 07, 19100 at 12:15:57:

I have been using a combination wax mix I get from REMET/Drusick, Campbell, Yates (800-445-2424). I am now using their Premier Bronze (a more refined type of good old Victory Brown) and their hardner (a resin and ?????) in a 50/50 mix in the summer and about a 30 (hardner) and 70 (Premier Bronze) in the winter. This mix has revolutionized the ease and process I go through to get a good, even, bubbless, no pour lines, no seperation between layers, castable wax form. I use one tempature of wax for the entire process, pour the first coat, let it cool a bit or get back to room temp. (anywhere from 90 to 45 deg. F), pour a second coat of same temp. wax and let it remain in the mold for 30-60 seconds and dump. Then usually one more coat like the second layer. Gives a very even, 3/16 in. wax, with no bubbles, no pour lines and no layer seperations. When working the wax, if warmed to hand temp. it gets stickey and weld very well. Once it cools to something below 80F or so, it gets hard and does not deform. I REALLY LIKE IT.

I don't work for or am in any way related to REMET/DCY, I am just a really happy user of thier products. They now have a division that is working with Art Foundries (and I am sure artists without a foundry). Give them a call (Bob Pawlak or Scott Martin at 800-445-2424 and also Kasha Mantoya [the wax lady] at 312-666-9850). They have been giving shell mold seminars around the country (free) and they do discuss waxes and often have samples available at the conferences.

So Phil and others, I would suggest that you give this a try. As most (many) on this list know, there are a zillion kinds of wax and a zillion to some power wax mixes. Candel wax is a waste of time if you are really serious about getting good waxes. Get some microcrystalin and some sort of hardener and try some mixes and vary your temps/methods.

Another source for wax info. is Kindt Collins Wax (800-321-3170). They are a wax mfgr. and have a VERY extensive wax catalog as well as foundry/casting supplies catalog. J. F. Mc Caughin (800-573-3000) in Los Angeles, has jewelry, and foundry catalogs, again very extensive (the foundry catalog is 2 - 3 ring binders full of items).

I too am interested to see what comes of this thread. Castings are only as good as the wax item, and good wax pieces are not always the easiest thing to make.

John Dach

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ