Re: Wax Shrinkage

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bruce paul fink on April 07, 19100 at 18:22:41:

In Reply to: Wax Shrinkage posted by PhilB on April 07, 19100 at 12:15:57:

I will be watching this also to find the comments of those wax chemists that know more than my moxie experience.

I think first you have to find out what candle wax you are using. From my experience they make those out of anything and everything that looks like wax. If it is a paraffin type forget it. It has a microscopic layering that resembles slate to stone and tends to break easily anyhow. If it is a microcrystaline type it may be more like beeswax in structure and tend to be more ductile, tacky and stretchable.

So all in all I have no answer, BUT I do use rosin as an addative that put in a proportion of 2 rosin to 1 wax makes for an extremely flexible wax... so much so that it is like silly putty when warm until it gets cold and then it becomes hard like a piece of wood, is very stable but can crack and break if dropped.

Maybe some of this is an answer, but I don't know. Guess you have to take a trial chance and see. If you want to use it as a candle though forget it as it would be like burning a piece of pine wood in smell output. A touch of the wild maybe but many things in the wild are known to go bump in the nite.

Also

The jewelers of course have a number of waxes that may do exactly what you want(why are you using candle wax as a start? do you just have a lot of it or is there more to this than meets the id), but they also pay through the nose for them (so to speak... I have no idea what that means though, have never even cashed a small check through the nose).

Good luck and keep us posted.

bpfink

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ