Re: thermocouple ID

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by joewizard on January 13, 19100 at 21:38:10:

In Reply to: Re: thermocouple ID posted by John Odom on January 13, 19100 at 09:57:44:

Turns out that a J and a K are the only 2 common types of t/c alloys that are magnetic. However, they can be distinguished by their voltage output at known temperatures.

http://www.pyromation.com/downloads/ has tables of output voltage for many types of T/C's ..

Regarding your need for a t/c, i suggest you do what i did. Put on some heavy boots, and a pair of gloves, go to a nearby scrapyard/metal recycler and start digging. Find a yard that caters to industry. Machinery and even entire production lines wear out, and they are dumped for scrap. You may be suprised at what you find, and almost certainly will be pleased with the price... often times its $zero for little $100 whatchamacallits that the guy couldn't identify if his life depended on it. Bring an adjustable wrench, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and a pair of pliers, at least. Oh, and handcleaner.

On the other hand, one could just spend a few dollars and buy one, but then ya miss out on most of the fun, to say nothing of the educational benefits..

As a semi-professional junkyard-dog, second only to the flea-infested but for the most part, friendly canines that actually eat, sleep, and do other things in those places, I do not normally tell people to do this. I don't like competition.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ