Re: Hydroperm Plaster

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by joewizard on January 13, 19100 at 09:17:42:

In Reply to: Re: Hydroperm Plaster posted by Jesse Brennan on January 12, 19100 at 13:45:39:

Now that makes sense. Had no success with several trials as far as lost wax goes, and now that you mention it, a few failures using 'permanant' plaster for a mold may have failed due to a lack of permiability. Aluminum may not even need vents.

It's nice not having to add any grog or sand, and i strive to not have to burn out wax if i can avoid it by a removable pattern.. [Managed to find an ingot of fusable alloy (158 F) to play with. expensive in small quantities. Seems to leave the cavity cleanly, but sometimes it remains in undercuts.]

I did find another similar or identical product at Georgia Pacific.. Denscal� HP .. take a look here and see what i mean.

Maybe GP will have more documentation than USG. I'll do some checking.

Also saw a reference to Hydroperm regarding casting glass. Half hydroperm/half fine(325 mesh) silica for a mold if i recall. Now glass wont be absorbed into the plaster so that sort of makes some sense too.

During recess, i managed to make a foamed Plaster of Paris. Use about 8 oz plaster to 8 water, and add 1/2 teaspoon or a bit more of hand-dishwashing-liquid soap.. Mix with a kitchen cake mixer on high speed for about 5 minutes.. the foamy result is light as a feather (and probably completely useless). Less water and/or less soap makes for a firmer product.

thanks jesse.. see ya

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ