Re: How about a ceramic kiln for burnout?

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Jack on December 31, 1999 at 19:33:05:

In Reply to: How about a ceramic kiln for burnout? posted by Rob Frink on December 30, 1999 at 17:38:00:

I considered the same thing when I was trying to attain a burnout source. 1. You can come up with a kiln from a burned out cermamic artist much cheaper. 2. At least 3 furnace engineers told me that a ceramic kiln with its small ni-cad wiring would fail often, do to heat buildup in the wire caused by contamination by the wax itself. 2 of them had witnessed such. I guess it probably would work for a while, and then you could use the carcass to install another heat source into. Such as gas, etc. If you don't get to envolved with the cost, it would probably be a cheap start to another furnace. As for myself, I built a custom gas burnout kiln 24 wide and 28 tall lined for about $1200. It will take 100 lbs of ceramic shells to 1700 degrees in less than an hour from cold start, though this is much to fast to operate a furnace. It can be seen on my foundry page at http://www.imagemakerart.com/foundry

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ