Re: How about a ceramic kiln for burnout?

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bruce paul fink on December 30, 1999 at 19:29:03:

In Reply to: How about a ceramic kiln for burnout? posted by Rob Frink on December 30, 1999 at 17:38:00:

Sounds like a good thing to just pass on. But it could work.... But it could also work better for much less. That $ amount of brick or ceramic wool including a $35 propane or natural gas burner would also do far better... if set up right.

Of course this all depends on the location you will want to use it so???? I'm a woods / country folk with few urban type limits.

This type of kiln is able to achieve much higher temperatures than you need and does so by just being ON at full electric blast until it gets there. Then you keep track of it by either looking through a hole at the kiln cones to see if they have sloughed

over from the heat and it is time to shut it down. There are several types of ways to do this and one is a simple trip wire that then trips with the slagging and shuts it down. These cones are cheap little pieces of clay designed for different temperatures but you don't need this anyway.

You are looking for a simpler system that will get up to a lower temperature and then hold it there for a long period of time. Also an electric system needs thick elements so the oxygen and various atmosphere in the kiln will not burn them out too fast. I avoid electric kilns but have used them as a last resort.

Several ways to do this:

One is to have a rigged thermostat that turns the burner or electric on and off ...

The other is to use a burner that is manually controlled or so incapable of the higher temperatures that you do not need a thermostat or regulator or .... This is the kind I now use after many years of the other trials and setups. Mine is a household oil burner in a fire brick lined steel drum (formerly a couple 2000 gallon oil tanks cut down and highly modified) with a .75 gallon per hour tip orifice. This is a rather large kiln to be sure but you can do well with a simpler steel 55 gallon drum upside down over a simple gas (natural or propane) burner like a plane kitchen stove or camp stove might have. The drum needs to be insulated so if cheap and short term just a good 6 inches of glass wool building insulation AROUND it will work but of course that is the most temporary kind... an interior and far better system would use a ceramic insulating brick, or insulating wool, or one of the higher tech and very thin insulating ceramic blanket systems.

You get what you pay for, or reap what you devise and find.

Hope this gets you off on a good searching foot.

There are other things to consider like burning up or collecting the draining wax, the smell from a stack or the after burner in the stack if you want to really eliminate that smell and unburnt fumes (a good idea if you plan to use it very often... it is also an environmental thing and cleaner air... well, it's a good thing).

Keep the questions coming as you get the options popping up.

Have a great New Year Rob

bpfink

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ