Re: Silicone bronze casting and chasing safety.

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bruce paul fink on November 22, 1999 at 20:41:03:

In Reply to: Silicone bronze casting and chasing safety. posted by Enrique on November 22, 1999 at 20:15:59:

It is fairly basic as far as the heat protection goes but also depends on the scale of casting and melting. For a mini crucible you might ignore parts of this but if doing tens or hundreds of lb. per pour just cover everything and wear cotton or leather or better and plan for the accident that you hope never happens.

By that... NO plastic clothing that could melt or support flame or stick to you. I personally wear cotton long underwear beneath levi's and layered T shirts under the last long sleeve one. A turtleneck is often also an advantage as the infra red heat itself can eventually make your neck raw.

Next- make sure there are no trap pockets or boot or shoe feed funnels to your clothing or feet unless you plan to do mandatory dancing at times. Rubber soles are okay as they will stink if you step on anything hot and let you know to get off it. If at all possible buy the official safety clothing for the last cover with an aluminized reflective surface and heat resistant body. Leather high top gloves that can be thrown off quick are also an advantage (they may not be burning but get too hot

to be comfortable if you pick up the wrong end of something... hey, hot shit happens.

WW Grainger as well as many others sell these and you will also look marvelous while being safer. In addition I wear a small pad of ceramic fiber woven cloth on the top of my bald head and held in place by the full face shield. Have never needed this but I enjoy the ability of being the first to know when it starts to rain. This is a full arc welder helmet with the oversized lens opening and I make the lens from 1/4 inch thick clear plastic. You can use theirs (buy several) but I like them new and clean and 100% safe and disposable. Also that size plastic fits in the hydraulic wax extruder and can be drilled and carved and converted to die plates for that, an added bonus.

As for the chasing...

I use high speed air grinders wwith carbide bits.(Northern Tool and Equipment @1-800-556-7885 for a catalog.... or Harbor Freight @ 1-800-423-2567 amoung many others).

Carbide bits can be gotten from MSC Industrial Supply as they have a great selection of many types and styles.

(MSC @ 1-800-545-7270)

This means lots of very fine chips that can be most obnoxious and is a definite to keep out of all other machinery. Also the sanding disks spread it even further so a special place with a great exhaust collection system is a must. A face shield is also needed as well as a breathing filter. These will depend on your circumstances but don't gamble on them.

Over the years I have tried numerous respirator masks but have settled on the very simple and disposable (so they say, I hardly ever throw any away) one sold by WW Grainger and priced @ about $12. It is their 'WELDER'S DISPOSABLE RESPIRATOR' listed as

No. 4A959 and it fits well under the welder's shield and goes well with glasses. ONE modification may be added and I also tape a baffle on it so the breathing exhaust is send down away from the welders shield and not just out so on those cold days the welding or clear lenses will not fog. (the baffle is the plastic cup lid off a spray paint can cut with a notch on the bottom side and taped in place).

Hope this helps. Better safe than sorry and many of the adversities involved will only show up after many years of accumulation so if in doubt just play it overly safe.

bpfink

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ