Re: Casting wax

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Jesse Brennan on October 09, 1999 at 14:07:33:

In Reply to: Casting wax posted by John Odom on October 08, 1999 at 13:27:04:

Polyethylene makes the wax more rigid when hard and can give it a memory so it is less fragile. I have been adding polyethylene in my current crop of ongoing experiments. The stuff I have now is very workable as a molding wax when heated just a bit. To make it more workable mix in some common paraffin or some victory wax.

I like the rigidity in the waxes in progress since they don't cold flow by their own weight as much. (Texas temperatures)

You want to use low density polyethylene. You want a lower molecular weight material that is stretchy. Some poly bags are OK.

6 pack rings seem to be a good grade to melt in well. The melting point raise up a little and the mixture needs stirred while melting. You don't want to use high density PE the crinkly or hard type at least not in my experience so far. If you want a sticky wax a very a very little tried out beef tallow will add this feature to waxes. Render out unsalted beef tallow (suet) Without burning it first then purify the clear fat by simmering it over water. This will eliminate any rancidity from developing. It is best to reheat the finished fat without water to dry it out. Very small ammounts added ( a teaspoon per pound on so) gives me a sticky wax. I havn't gotten very excited about adding vasoline or motor oil but others do to soften wax up. Used to do it.

The green wax industrial foundries use is similar to what I end up with but mine is easier to work with the other wax additions.

I like to use several types of wax for different strucural features but then I'm an engineer and like to play arround constantly experimenting.

This is a little more than an answer, but should give you some help in using what you have.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ