Re: Joint Chemistry-Art project

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bpfink on August 19, 1999 at 07:32:50:

In Reply to: Joint Chemistry-Art project posted by John Odom on August 18, 1999 at 11:03:35:

Checked out your mini photo essay on your class casting projects at your designated

Very interesting and good to see the step by step results. Would love to see a better close up of the final cast results though as the smiles on the faces of the students holding it shine so bright it is hard to focus there. Great little run through.

If you send me your snail mail address I would like to send you a mini VCR casting tape of the same thing from my studio. It is very amaturish as I rented a camera and did it the same day while it sat running on a tripod, then had some friends over to tape while the pour was done. It may show you how to better avoid some of the rather dangerous steps in your handling of the molten metal. (I like a safer grip on the actual pouring crucible bucket in case of unexpected needs to reflex.)

I noticed when you were pouring the styrofoam / sand molds the huge amount of smoke (which is very toxic as you know) might start to waif over your way, or the any spitting or burping of the gases in the mold might cause one to jump or shift very fast with a reflex action... so this little tape might also help you have a safeguard edge against any of those features. I have been doing a one man operation since 1961 with never an accident of any kind (knock on metal) so between my and my guardian soul angels something must be safer. I do wish you could be pouring either outdoors (because of that smoke) or have a great hood and fan vent system even if it is a small 4" pipe located near the top of the mold to the side and on a great sucking blower or such.

Another aid is by pre disposing (shrinking or eliminating)any of the styrofoam prior to the pouring by using a hot rod down the sprue and vents that might help the metal get down into the mold depths faster and thereby use the same sand body some as a filter to soak up the gases before they get out into the air.

Difference on this tape I'd like to send you:

these are bigger molds (300 to 2000 lbs each),

preburned out lost wax plaster based investment molds,

successive 300# bronze pours per melt,

and a 100% one man operation since I work alone.

This is while doing a life sized figure in several separate casts with the final outcome as finished (90 inches high x 40in.X45in.)

Never-the-less (and since you may be aspiring to get into that direction more and more for the quality of the whole) I think you may get some more insights and also inspire the students even more to their possible potentials.

Here are some other places to see some photos of other things that may help inspire your students towards the potentials:

A styrofoam hanging tree top as a finished carving (7 ft in dia. with much of the carving done via a turntable and rigged router setup using a 3/4 inch carbide router blade.and a hand held air grinder

same with the tree top being broken out

same with it in the final position on the tree

You can also see the mechanical layout drawing of the pouring operation I use at:

and a top view at:

bruce paul fink

Woodstock, CT 06281

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ