aluminum casting

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Michael Mandaville on June 02, 1999 at 00:14:04:

Hello, friends. I am tooling-up to cast aluminum and brass, and I just thought I would share my experience so far. I was able to purchase a one-pint cast-iron cooking pot at a local general store, which I will use as my crucible.

I will be building my furnace out of clay and sand. I already have the clay, and I have located a source for the sand. My elementary understanding of the Japanese art of raku was useful in locating the sand.

A recent post on another forum indicated that at least one fellow was ruining a sequence of leaf blowers by "accident" because of blowback. I make my living with my leaf blower, so I will design a second one for my furnace.

I'm getting my truck ready for inspection, but my furnace project lets me take a break from my work. I have found the Lindsay Publications site to be very useful in my endeavor, and at this point, I would be lost without it.

I have decided to use non-corregated metal roofing for a furnace form. I have a scroll saw to build a wooden form to wrap the metal around. I will rivit the metal together in as many layers as necessary.

Without the information which I have gotten off of thjis and other internet sites, it would not have been possible for me to consider such a project. As it is, I am looking forward to buildinf a Gingery metalworking lathe.

I am confident that I will succeed in this endeavor because of the good information at my disposal, but I would nevertheless appreciate any comments or criticisms which might come my way. Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ