Re: ventilation for ceramic shell burn-out kiln

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bruce paul fink on May 21, 1999 at 07:34:48:

In Reply to: ventilation for ceramic shell burn-out kiln posted by Cristin Millett on May 20, 1999 at 12:45:35:

Sounds real good and like a great direction. I assume it is already cut and under way??? but if not of course be very careful with cutting any closed tank, especially a fuel storage one.

I do it often though and first fill the tank with water so the interior air space is composed of water as opposed to any possible oxygen or fuel fumes.

When I cut a door in a tank always cut the hinge side first, then weld on the hinges (or drill and bolt) and then cut the other 3 sides. Makes for a near perfect system instead of taking time to try and hang the door back perfectly.

Also have drilled many small holes in the walls or roof area and inserted stainless steel welding rods as pins to hold the kaowool (or even firebrick when used) in place. A stainless washer on the inside will help there and a spot weld on the outside keeps it in tight position.

As for the stack, I usually do a side or down draft since the fire will be a forced / blown flame and there is already a natural tendency for the flames and fumes and exhaust to go out and up once it is hot.

This also helps to keep the major heat inside the top of the kiln and conserves fuel.

The flames will be originating at the bottom of the kiln where the outflow of wax is anyhow. Lets the heat of any of the interior burning wax add to the fuel and become more usable.

Either stack location will work of course.

As for Maine and being outdoors, not sure that is any need to stay in. Here in CT I have had outdoor kilns for years.

The flames from a ceramic shell burnout can get pretty hot and high. Not sure what volume you are talking about but we used to remove up to 8 to 12 lbs per mold and that is a major stack flame that will shoot up 8 or 10 feet as it's prime. Not an indoor thing even with the 13 ft ceilings.

As for stack materials... stainless piping is always nice but in reality we have almost always used 8 or 6 inch steel heavy walled well pipe or whatever the local dump or scrap yard is featuring either for free or by the cheapo lb.

Let us know the results. It can be a lot of fun conquering the challenges of process.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ