Re: lost foam casting

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by John Odom on May 19, 1999 at 12:06:29:

In Reply to: Re: lost foam casting posted by bruce paul fink on May 18, 1999 at 20:31:36:

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I am a chemistry teacher and am working with the art teacher on a joint project. I set up the foundry at home, since I couldn't get it past the school beauracracy.

We had a good casting session last evening. The wooden pattern castings came out perfect, I hadn't done any for years so I was relieved. We did the styrofoam in the petrobond sand but I didn't draw the pattern. I gated with styrofaom like I would have gated a regular wood pattern. The styrofoam castings were all sound, and are useable, but had poor surface finish, and minor shrinkage in the thick sections. These will grind/polish out. Next time I'll use bigger sprues and pouring cup.

Thanks so much for the response. I've lurked here a lot but only posted a couple of times when my chemical knowledge was applicable. This is a wonderful resource and I know it takes a lot of work.

John L. Odom at the Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences

One of the boys said he had observed a lost styrofoam demonstration and they had used regular play sand around the pattern? how does that work?

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ