Re: URGENT!! residue on bronze!!

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Jack on May 16, 1999 at 07:05:43:

In Reply to: URGENT!! residue on bronze!! posted by Wanda Ritt on May 14, 1999 at 03:17:59:

Sorry, it's Sunday morning but will toss this is for future thought. If the whitish areas are coming from the thicker areas of you castings, (usually the most porous) they are probably salts leaching from the acid neutralization. This can happen hours, or months after finishing. It is caused by a incomplete rinsing or neutralizing process. I have found that extensive rinsing, coupled with a closely applied air hose drove the remaining acid from these areas. You can tell if you have these porous areas by wetting the bronze (with no finish on it of course) and using the air nossel directly against the surface where the salt have leached. Small bubbles will race to the surface in the surrounding areas. Re-wet it and blow it out several times thus removing the remaining hidden chemical reactions. The rust or orange colored areas are usually just that "rust". Wet steel wool fibers that have settled in the low areas while they were wet. Extensive rinsing is usually the key. You might also check the ph of your rinse source as bad water could provide the same problems. I have corrected most of my problems of this nature by staying away from acids in my patinas and have went to liver of sulfur for a dark base coat.

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ