Re: Fluidized Air Bed Sand System Diagram?

ArtMetal
Bramblebush

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by John Dach on April 06, 1999 at 02:36:18:

In Reply to: Fluidized Air Bed Sand System Diagram? posted by Ed on April 01, 1999 at 16:16:15:

Ed,

You got it right on the diagram. The air entry site to the bed is a spring returned, ball valve opened by a foot peddle. I used a regular 1/2 inch ball valve and re positioned teh operating handle so it would return to a closed position when the peddle was released.

CFM's....... don't really know but it is the full blast of 175psi air from my 60 gal/2 stage/5hp compressor, and I can get a shell in and out before the unit cycles on, it compresses at about 19cfm (per label) and runs about 40-50 seconds once it is on so..... I would guess I am using about 15cfm's per in/out of a shell. Commercially, fluidized beds are fluidized by a high pressure centrifical fan which runs constantly as the bed is used more on a constant basis. I didn't do it this way partially becuase I didn't have a hi pressure cent. blower but I did have the compressor.

Our largest pour to date was an 85lb (sprues and all) single pour of an Eagle. The shell was most difficult to handle so now I keep the pieces in the maxium range of about 20-25 lbs rough finished casting and weld a bit more. Quicker to weld and finish than to make new waxes, repair broken shells and take time off to go get my "broken" back worked on. Cheaper too!!!

I am glad you found this site. It is terrific!!!!(thank you all, all of you ArtMetalites!!!!!). Wish I could get into a situation to teach what I know to folks as I love to share and help and I always get so much from such an activity (new ideas, thoughts direction and energy).

John Dach

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ