Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by bpfink on January 20, 1999 at 13:57:06:

In Reply to: Re: Topic:IS IT VIABLE TO CAST AT A HOME / STUDIO? posted by Andy V on January 20, 1999 at 13:46:27:

Well put Andy...

and even concrete is no place for a misplaced spill of molten metal. A splash of bronze can build up steam in the concrete and in seconds cause a cement blowup carrying the metal on it to hit the ceiling, walls, yourself and whatever is around.

To help protect against such an occurance I cover concrete also.

In all major adjacent areas I put steel grates on the floor and then keep them filled with sand (don't want a spill to stick to the top of the steel either). On areas without grates and where there should not be any spill anyhow but ... keeping it safer...

I have a 1/16 inch layer covering of sheet plastic. This of course will burn if hit, will also stink and let you know of it, and will help soak the heat up before the concrete could blow giving you more warning time and maybe help contain the blow if it still happened.

As for wood flooring, the same covering of grates and sand could help or a thick sheet of steel (say 1/4 inch plate, lesser works but starts to buckle annoyingly over time) but I really never would consider this unless it's a disposable floor and there are no other options. At least wood won't blow, just burn and weaken but it would be a better option than a potential exploding surface. I should hope this was one's own property however and certainly not a rental.

bruce paul fink

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ