Bramblebush ForumsFAQ

Posted by Andy V on January 20, 1999 at 13:46:27:

In Reply to: Topic:IS IT VIABLE TO CAST AT A HOME / STUDIO? posted by bruce paul fink on January 18, 1999 at 15:54:25:

Certainly, though much depends on how large the studio is, where itis located, and what size work you intend on doing.

Let us begin with intended proportions of your work. My rule

of thumb is to accept the fact that you will eventually wind up

wanting to do something several times the size of anything you

ever had originally intended to do. Try to plan with this in mind

if you can afford to do so. You will probably be glad that you did.

Location and structure of your studio may also dictate the size and manner of casting that you do. If you're in an apartment on the west side of Manhattan, 5th floor, you are not likely to be doing 500# sand castings. Wood floors and molten metal spills make for burnt down homes. OTOH, investment casting in flasks up to, say,6 inches in diameter are very doable, given proper ventilation, etc.

Investment casting is nice in that everything's comparatively small and self contained. Of course this is not so when you go to the more modern ceramic shell variety of investment casting, where the work can become quite large.

For sand casting, building construction becomes more of a factor.

You really don't want to be casting on a wood floor, even if you're working in a barn in Siberia. You can build all sorts of containment for spills, but this is not a green light for proceeding in a wooden structure IMHO. I've done a good bit of sand casting in my college days and no matter how well the spill containment was made, molten metal still managed to make it onto the floor on a couple of occasions.

Not that big a deal on concrete, but still something to treat with the utmost respect.

Did any of this answer the question?

-Andy V.

Eventide Forge

Freehold, NJ

Follow Ups:

Bramblebush ForumsFAQ