rc's blog

Nitric acid-testing for gold

Hi,
If anyone could assist me it would be greatly appreciated. I use nitric acid to test for gold purity (to determining the karat value of gold). The acid comes in a small plastic bottle containing ½ fl once of acid. Only one drop comes out of the bottle at a time. The odor even in this small amount is not pleasant. What is the health hazard? Is there anything that I can practically do to protect myself from inhaling the fumes? I currently use a small desk top fan to disperse the concentration of the fumes that are rising in my direction. Would a simple 25 cent disposable mask that is used to prevent the inhalation of dust have any effect? Please keep in mind that I am checking the gold at “gold parties”. I can’t come out in a space uniform 


Syndicate content